Saturday, March 22, 2014

Spelunking

We have been having really nice spring weather so today I decided to go with some people and do a little spelunking.  We went to the Bijambare caves which are about 30-40 minutes outside of Sarajevo.  It was a real nice area, very scenic.  The first cave was up high in the mountain and even though there were some steps it was a heck of a hike to get up to it.  The second cave was on what I call the first summit and we were able to take a tour and go deep inside of it.  According to the different placards bones have been found in there that belong to a species of bear that went extinct about 10,000 years ago.  They also have found man made stone age tools that date back to the cave man days.







I wanted to get a picture of the giant cave opening in the center but there was another bench off to the left with a bunch of people sitting and standing around it so I had to take a picture off center in order to cut them out of my picture

















2 comments:

  1. Cave Exploring, very cool !!! This word though sounds funny and like something made up from SNL.
    I would have been nervous going up the side of that mountain. Maybe if I was a bit younger I would attempt it. Are people allowed to rock climb the side of that mountain ? How far up were you ? It looks very high from the photos you posted.
    How deep inside of the caves did you go ? How much deeper do they go ?
    The photos you took look awesome. I would love to go there and see this for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see anyone rock climbing so I am not sure if they allow it. Where we were at there were steps, they were steep, but steps none the less. I would have to say we went at least 300 yards. I didn't keep up with the tour because I was taking pictures so I am not sure how deep it went because they turned around and were coming back before I caught up with them.

    ReplyDelete