Monday, July 22, 2013

Mmmmm Kebabs

Another food that has become very popular here are kebabs.  Basically it is a large hunk of meat on an upright rotisserie and they cut some off and stuff it in a pita along with any fixin's you want.  The family that I know here own and operate their own little pizza and sandwich shop called Hollywood Pizza.  I have eaten there a number of times.  They made me a pizza the other day with brussuto on it and man was it good.  They also make a number of pasta dishes and paninis.  I was down town and was walking over to their place when I walked past a place and saw these big hunks of meat just roasting on a rotisserie.  When I got to their place I asked them what it was and they told me kebabs.  I said I had heard that there were a few places in Philly that may have had these but I would always procrastinate and ended up never going.  They said they have become real popular here and throughout the entire region.

Last week they had to run a few errands in Old Town and I went with them.  We hadn't eaten and they asked if I was hungry.  When I said yes I thought we were going to go to the place that had the smoked sausages.  Instead we went to a little place that had kebabs.  They use this hand held deli slicer that looks like an metal angle grinder/cutter.  They shave some meat off and stuff it in a pita.  I had lettuce and tomato with mine.  The meat was sliced real thin, thinner then what we use on cheese steaks, which is what this kind of reminded me of.  When I asked what type of meat it was I was told it was young cow so I don't know if that means veal or not.  All I do know is it was good.  




2 comments:

  1. Carter gets kebob all of the time in Philly! I think our local Mediterranean restaurant sells them on a stick with veggies. So, they are a little different here.

    Love, Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would get shish-kabobs at the Amish market. They were a piece of steak, onion, pepper, potato on a skewer and they grilled. This is different. Its a huge side of meat and then they just shave some off and slap it on some bread.

    ReplyDelete