Sunday, July 14, 2013

"Wild" Dogs

One of the growing problems the city, and surrounding areas, of Sarajevo has is "wild" dogs.  The city was hit hard by the recession of 2008 and has been slow to recover.  I am told that the current unemployment rate in the city is probably around 40% with young people being effected the most.  I am told the unemployment rate for people 18-30 is probably much higher.  There are tons of little cafes where people can sit outside and am told that most of the young people just go and sit and smoke at one of these places all day because they have nothing else to do.  Anyway, when many people lost their jobs they were no longer able to afford to take care of their pets, mainly dogs, so they just let them go.  I am told it is estimated that there are now approximately 11,000 dogs in and around the city.  Outside of my apartment there are a few.  If I go downtown to center city you will see some walking around.  Even when I was in the mountains the other day I saw dogs roaming around.  All of the dogs that I have come across have all been friendly because they are domesticated and use to being around people.  There are estimates that the number of dogs may double by the year 2020 so there are groups from around Europe that have come in to "fix" the dogs so they cannot continue to reproduce.  They say this is more humane, and I agree, because many people do not seem to have a problem with the dogs so they do not want to just round them up and euthanize them.



2 comments:

  1. They are so cute. Must be hard to resist feeding them, or you'll be having them follow you around.

    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a kind of host family here. The dad does make food and takes it down to them almost every day. when he gets home the dogs sometimes will swarm his car making it difficult for him to get out or even park.

    ReplyDelete