Wednesday, May 7, 2014

War Museum

When I was out for my walk today I had wanted to take pictures of some of the buildings that still had damage from the war.  When I was walking back along the river I saw an outside cafe and to the right of it was an old army tank, some type of armored train car, jeep and what looked like some type of Howitzer or 88mm cannon.  They looked to be WWII era but I decided to go look at them.




There were some back steps and I walked up them and saw that I was at the War Museum.  I have passed the place many times.  I had never gone in because this museum and a much larger one next door had signs up that said they were closed.  Apparently this one was not.  So I went in and looked around some.  While they had some art displays they did have an entire area dedicated to the recent war here.  The following are some pictures I took inside.  The problem with taking pictures was the items were behind regular glass and not museum non-glare glass.  Also, the entire ceiling was windows so many of the displays had glares on them regardless of what I did.



Believe it or not, this was a homemade double barrel shot gun





These are two very famous pictures from the war.  I have seen them on many websites about the war


Common weapons used during the war.  The Gold gun on the right is homemade


satellite radio 


Rockets


The oddest looking grenade launcher I ever saw



The above two pictures are of homemade wood or coal burning stoves that people made in order to heat their homes or cook their food.



The following are pictures I took of pictures that were taken of a school that was hit by a rocket attack.  The teacher and a few of the students were killed.  I know, even recently, that there have been a number of schools in the US where horrible acts of violence have occurred.  During my time teaching in Philadelphia I have taught in schools where the school and neighborhood was referred to as a war zone.  I worked in schools that had bullet holes in the doors and windows leading into the building.  I have been in schools when drive by shootings have taken place right out side.  Despite this, when I saw these pictures and display I definitely had some emotions well up inside me.













2 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures and a great way to document your year. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father would have been so interested in all of this as he was a big history buff. He also back after the WW2 was going to be a history teacher. That was his real true calling. I wish he did that instead of the what he ended up doing but he did what he had to do for our family.

    ReplyDelete